Yes, you read that right. Blueberries have long been the ‘talk of the town’ as one of a host of extraordinary superfoods. Other berries on the superfoods list include strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. But why do blueberries seem to top lists more often than the others? Here are 7 reasons to fall in love with blueberries.
- These little gems are loaded with nutrients that can do the body good. They have antioxidants which protect our cells from free radical oxidation. They also contain vitamins A, C, and E which help support a healthy immune system. Due to these facts, blueberries are considered to be one of nature’s superfoods, defined as a food rich in compounds that are beneficial in maintaining optimal health.
- Smoothies have skyrocketed in popularity as one of the best ways to have a nutritious and delicious meal on the go. With the hustle and bustle of society, the variety of smoothies that are available is endless. Why not add blueberries to the possibilities? Smoothies are a great way to pack in all the nutrients, protein, minerals, complex carbohydrates and fiber needed to fuel and cleanse the body.
Scroll down to the bottom to see my favorite green smoothie recipe.
- Great source of fiber. Fiber is the part of food that the body can’t break down and uses it to ‘sweep’ out waste to keep the digestive system clean and efficient. A 3/4 cup serving of blueberries contains 3 grams of dietary fiber which is 11 percent of the recommended daily value. Fiber is also known to be essential in maintaining bowel health, helping to control blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol levels.
- It’s a delicious and healthy edition to many recipes. Not only do blueberries make a tasty, nutritious smoothie, they are also a great addition to salads, baked goods, pancakes and desserts. Speaking of desserts, blueberry pie and sugary treats, unfortunately, are not on the list of health benefits. 😉
- Helps reduce inflammation. Certain types of inflammation is actually good for the body. It helps our injuries heal, fights off infections and all types of foreign invasions. On the other hand, acute inflammation can cause severe debilitating joint pain such as arthritis, gout and other painful conditions. Blueberries contain a rich source of antioxidants which can help ward off inflammation, when eaten on a regular basis.
- Blueberries are rich in flavonoids which are responsible for their antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties. “Wild blueberries are rich in antioxidants. One serving of wild blueberries has more total antioxidant capacity than one serving of cranberries, strawberries, plums or others. Oxidative stress is linked to aging, heart disease and cancer.” Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center
- Blueberries provide a healthy and convenient way to snack on the go, especially for kids. Just pop a handful in a lunch box or bento box for a nutrient rich treat. They also provide a great energy boost for a midday pick-me-up.
Blueberries are definitely one of the most nutrient rich fruits on the scene. It’s an incredible piece of goodness packed in a tiny little blue package. So go ahead and fall in love with the incredible, edible Blueberry!
Berry Yummy Green Smoothie:
Blend 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1/2 cup spinach and 1 tablespoon of honey until creamy. Enjoy!😊
Eat, Drink & Be well
One thought on “The incredible edible blueberry?🤔”